House of the Good Shepherd has celebrated over 150 years of service to disadvantaged and marginalized women and children in Chicago. It was on May 20, 1859—when the Civil War had not yet started and Chicago was only 26 years old—that four Good Shepherd sisters first arrived from St. Louis.
During the last 153 years, House of the Good Shepherd has served recovering prostitutes, troubled adolescents, immigrant women with no resources, and other women and children in difficult circumstances. We have always responded to whatever the current needs of the community may be.
Since 1980, when House of the Good Shepherd created one of the first domestic violence programs in Chicago, more than 5,000 mothers and children affected by family violence have rebuilt lives of dignity and purpose here.